Article from Metal Construction News
In a space thinner than a pancake, you can dramatically improve a home's energy efficiency. Using the same reflective technology that protects NASA astronauts from the sun's searing heat, Low-E Insulating Housewrap blocks 97% of radiant heat transfer through the walls--saving enough energy to pay for the upgrade in 3 years or less.
Energy efficiency and lowering heating and cooling costs are top priorities for American homeowners. Home improvement contractors can meet that demand with Low-E Housewrap. With Low-E, an ordinary residing job whether wood, vinyl, steel or fiber cement - becomes an energy-saving improvement that qualifies for up to $1500 in Federal Energy Tax Credits.
You can meet tough standards for more energy-efficient construction without dramatically increasing your cost. Use conventional two-by-four framing and insulation, but upgrade to Low-E Insulating Housewrap for performance comparable to expensive
six-inch wall systems.
The new Low-E Insulating Housewrap meets water resistant barrier requirements while providing thermal performance. The product allows for standard construction of 2" X 4" framed walls while complying with the new higher "R" value energy code.
Low-E Housewrap replaces conventional paper or fiber wrap material and is installed in the same manner between the siding and the wall sheathing.
The 3/16" thick wrap provides "R" value and has the additional benefits of both a reinforced foil facing made of 99.4% pure aluminum and perforations for water vapor transmission. The aluminum facing reflects heat in the summer and retains it in the winter which significantly reduces energy consujption.
Environmentally Safe Products, Inc. proudly announce that they have received an ICC certification for their new Low-E Housewrap on May 1, 2010. As part of the certification process, subtle changes were made to their existing Low-E Housewrap product. The most notable change is the newly reinforced facing. Click here to read the Low-E Housewrap ICC report.
So Why Use Low-E House Wrap?
- Adds a radiant barrier to your home, which blocks up to 97% of the sun's radiant energy (remember this accounts for up to 93% of summer heat gain and guess what, conventional insulations do absolutely nothing to stop radiant energy, they only slow it down). It also helps retain heat in the winter.
- Reduces drafts in your home by effectively sealing exterior wall leaks.
- Raises system R-value.
- Deadens sound.
- Has a Class A/Class 1 fire rating.
- Material is easy to install. It can be applied directly over OSB or plywood in new construction, or directly over your old siding in retrofit applications. It is installed in minutes with a razor knife and staple gun. Contractors like it because it saves them time and money with installation.
- Best of all it is non-toxic and hypo-allergenic.
- Flexibility and durability are unsurpassed, allowing for tight corner wraps without tearing or reinforcement and no folds or pieces to fit together.
Note: Testing by an ASTM accredited lab determined that the use of Low-E House Wrap did not cause warping of the siding to occur, unlike other foil faced products, Low-E House Wrap is coated with 99% pure aluminum which prevents heat buildup.